Thursday, January 22, 2015

If You Were A Penguin...

We've spent the past week and a half learning all about penguins.  I have to say, the kids have seemed to really enjoy this unit.  I have too!  We read a lot of non fiction during this unit and they love it!  One interesting fact we  read yesterday is that penguins have a layer of blubber that keeps them warm in the cold temperature and waters.  We decided today to test that out!  We laughed and laughed about the word "blubber" (Oh, kindergarten humor!).  Then we put on a "blubber glove" to test out the whole blubber thing.  We dipped our hand into a tub of icy cold water. I wish you could have seen their expressions when they realized that the blubber (a.k.a. shortening) kept their hand warm. 
Look at these photos and see for yourself...






Of course I couldn't just take their word for it.  I had to check it out for myself.
 
 
Guess what?!  It did keep my hand warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment